Main Menu

The Wonderful World Of Radio .

Started by Julian, Oct 13, 2023, 08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julian

My renewed interest in radio communication after 30 years has proved to be somewhat challenging, particularly living in a flat in the middle of a city , I've found that becoming successful in terms of creating a fully operational radio system is something that money can't buy as it's a matter of antenna installation height , for myself this involves official permission & so forth.
I'm currently awaiting permission for installing my antenna on the roof of the property ,sadly this process seems to be taking forever ?.
If I'm fortunate enough to obtain permission to install the radio antenna on the roof of the property  I've an additional complication insofar as the antenna  height itself, hence I'm living in the middle of central Brighton in a grade 2 listed property , nevertheless in meanwhile I've managed to install a 9 ft stainless steel whip antenna on a mirror mount with additional ground planes , my SWR is literally 1.1 across the scale,this is my first major breakthrough / stroke of luck , that being said I can only transmit locally as the antenna has been installed on the front exterior balcony of the property .
I have also installed an antenna at the rear exterior balcony of the property , the antenna used is a
Sigma Excalibur , but unfortunately this excercise has proved unsuccessful due to high SWR readings , I'm rather hoping that an additional 9 ft stainless steel whip antenna on a mirror mount with additional ground planes  will suffice ? , I also have the Sirio Thunder antenna to install , it's essentially a matter of what antenna works best , this remains to be seen ?.
Summing up, it's certainly been an interesting month of various antenna experiments & at some cost too , it's all part of the hobby & there's never a dull moment , so that in itself is a huge success , I will continue with my findings all the time the temperatures are mild .   

Tony

Welcome to our site Julian,
I hope all your efforts are rewarded and you soon start to chat to many more people on-air. :)
M7DVQ * * * 26 CT 4013

John

Hello Julian

Welcome to the site , Hope all is well .
Hope to catch you on air sometime soon .

Best 73s  John CT4515

Chatbox

ONLY MEMBERS CAN POST IN CHATBOX

12 May 2024 11:55:41
Tony: I didn't , but I'm sure a lot did. :)

11 May 2024 15:14:36
Razz229: Anybody going out to to see if the Northern lights happen again?

06 May 2024 12:07:41
Razz229: Don't forget it's Monday, so the South Coast/Monday night PMR on channel 14 will be on tonight from 8 o'clock UK time

01 May 2024 21:30:56
Razz229: A plug for the Southern Area & South Coast UK SSB Net, 2nd May from 20:00 UK time, channel 39 LSB midblock/FCC

27 Apr 2024 13:10:22
Razz229: G5TM live streaming on YouTube at the moment

24 Apr 2024 21:01:47
Razz229: Oi! Oi! Southern Area and South Coast SSB Net. Thursday Night from 20:00 hrs local time, channel 39 LSB 27.395 MHz

27 Mar 2024 22:37:14
Razz229: Shameless plug for the Southern Area and South Coast LSB Net on channel 39 midblock starts at 20:30ish or before UK time.

13 Mar 2024 22:24:40
John: Sad Face No hill topping for me tomorrow car failed  MOT. Fixing it with Big Dave Tomorrow night.

08 Mar 2024 22:24:36
John: Hiya  people sorry  i have been preoccupied with other things lately but all settled now so i will be around  a bit more  ;D  ;D  ;D

03 Mar 2024 14:57:10
Admin: Not at all Ray ;D ;D ;D